Enrollment Eligibility, Process, and Timeline
The following criteria are central to student eligibility for the program.
Please keep in mind that the Rudsdale Newcomer program is not a disciplinary intervention.
|Criteria||Eligible Students||Ineligible Students|
|Age||Students must be 16 by state law to be in a continuation school, and we are asking sites to prioritize students who are 17 or older for referral.||
Those under age 16.
|Grade||Credits rather than grade are the real eligibility criteria.|
|Credits Completed||These are the 190 credits required to graduate from an Alt Ed program, Students can earn 60 credits in one school year.|
N1, N2 or N3 students
Students who have not yet been in a comprehensive school for 6 months. N4 students are not eligible as they are expected exit newcomer programs next year.
90% or less attendance
Students with attendance rates higher than 90% should be encouraged to remain in a comprehensive school Exceptions can be made where it is known that a student situation will be changing (i.e. having to start working, or working more) that will prevent attendance next year.
- Schools should review potential candidates for the program against the enrollment criteria.
- If a student meets the criteria, interested students should fill out the Referral Form for Alternative Education. (Deadlines for referral forms are below.)
- Completed referral forms can be returned in person to Lakeview, 746 Grand Avenue, Room D or Room E (same hallway on the lower level) during school hours. They can also be emailed to Raechal Perez. Student eligibility will be verified again at this time.
* If you have eligibility questions, please email copy of the transcript to Assistant Principals, Emma Batten-Bowman and Alessandra Cabrera
- Eligible students will be informed of the next orientation date and placed on a list for Rudsdale Newcomer. (Orientation dates are listed below.)
- Students must attend the orientation in order to enroll. If they fail to attend orientation, they will remain enrolled at their original school. Schools that refer students are encouraged to remind students to attend the mandatory orientation.
- After attending to orientation, students will be moved in AERIES and assigned classes at Rudsdale Newcomer.
Mandatory orientation is always held at Rudsdale Newcomer, 2369 84th Ave, the Wednesday before the new Marking Period. Space is limited, so there may not be opportunities to enroll students later in the year.